A Helpful Guide for Reading With Your Child
Reading Strategies To Use with Early Readers
Strategy 1: Look at the Picture
- Good readers depend on language patterns and pictures
- When the child errors: ask, “What do you think it could be?” “Look at the picture.”
Strategy 2: Does it Make Sense?
- Good readers make sure that what they read is logical and makes sense
- When the child errors: say, “Try that again and think what would make sense.”
Strategy 3: Get Your Mouth Ready
Strategy 4: Does it Look Right?
- Good readers use the beginning sound(s). Say, “Get your mouth ready” for unknown words to better predict the correct word.
- When the child errors: ask, “Do you know a word that starts with those letters?”
- Good readers check their reading by looking through the entire word from left to right and by asking “Does it look right?”
- When the child errors: ask, “ Would ______________fit there?” “Do you think it looks like ____________?”
Last Modified on September 12, 2019