Academic Quiz Team
Welcome to the THS Academic Quiz Team! By joining this team, you are not only going to have fun, but a great deal of success will come your way this year, and for years to come. You will become a part of a long and storied tradition of excellence as a part of our team. It will also look very good on college applications. Several alumni of our team have gone on to play College Quiz Bowl. Many have graduated at the top of their class.
There are many ways you may have come to join this team: word of mouth, encouragement from a friend or teacher, or heard an announcement. In any case, the amount of success you have in this sport is equivalent to the amount of work you put in. I will provide the opportunity, but you must be ready to succeed!
We have already begun to build the team for next year and future years. Your commitment is essential.
2016 Fall Semester
- In the Know/WOSU-TV: vs. Cardington-Lincoln, Won 450-275. Next date TBA.
- University of Charleston (WV): Michael, Carsten, Gabe, Ethan W.: 5-4 record, 10th place out of 26 teams. Michael finished 3rd overall individually.
- University HS, Morgantown (WV): Faith, Michael, Carsten, Gillian, Ben: 6-2, Second Place out of 20 teams, qualified for NAQT Nationals in 2017!
- Ohio State Fall Kickoff, Columbus, OH: Michael, Carsten, Gillian, Ben: 4-4 record, 7th place out of 12 teams.
- Beavercreek Autumn Invitational Tournament (BAIT): October 29th
- Tippecanoe Academic Challenge: NOVEMBER 5th – ALL QUIZ TEAM MEMBERS MUST ATTEND!
- St. Charles Preparatory Academy “In the Know”: November 12th
- Little Miami HS Tournament: November 19th
- Rowdy Raider Winter Invitational @ Northmont HS: December 3rd
- TRASH @ Tipp: DECEMBER 10th – ALL QUIZ TEAM MEMBERS MUST ATTEND!
Practices will be held on Mondays and Thursdays after school, from 2:45-4:00 pm. Some practices may be divided for JV only (Freshmen, Sophs and inexperienced Juniors). All practices are open to anyone and every student, regardless of status, and are free to attend.
Everyone will keep a notebook on the team. One of the coaches may examine them from time to time. You need to put everything quiz team related into your notebook. I recommend purchasing a three ring binder for this purpose. You may begin by putting this packet of information into your binder. Other things to include are old quizzes, lists of information that is given to you, questions you have written, tournament results, and blank paper.
Practice stats are kept in the following fashion. TWO points are credited for every correct answer given before the question is finished. ONE point will be deducted for an incorrect answer if the question is interrupted. ONE point will be credited for every correct answer after the question is finished being read. I will not be making practice results common knowledge all of the time. If you want to know how you are doing, please see me and we can talk at any time about your standing on the team.
Following are copies of the agendas for each practice we've held. If you miss a practice, refer to the agenda to determine what we went over. Or you can ask Mr. Bellas in Room 110. Or you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shirts and Apparel
Shirts: We may be purchasing team shirts this year, depending on demand. I do have a few extra shirts left over from previous years - please see me if you are interested in purchasing one. You will be encouraged to wear the shirts to tournaments whenever possible. If you don’t have a shirt, you should wear something that has school colors or the school emblem on it. If we are on TV or competing in other formal events that do not allow our team shirts, we will wear dress formally.
We will be competing on the following television competitions this year:
WOSU-TV in Columbus: "In The Know"
Tryouts will be announced as we get closer to this event. Each team member on the show will dress in formal attire. Parents are more than welcome to come to each filming.