Students from Tipp City Schools excelled at the 8th Annual Miami County Science Day held at Tippecanoe High School. This event for students in grades 5-12 provides students a venue that promotes the development of creative thinking, research and writing skills, and career motivation toward the sciences, all in one program.
Fifty-two students from Tipp City, Miami East, Bethel, Milton-Union, and the Upper Valley Career Center, completed and exhibited projects in zoology, chemistry, botany, space & earth sciences, computers, zoology, microbiology, biochemistry, physics, engineering, mathematics, medicine & health and behavioral & social science.
Tippecanoe High School freshman Sadhil Mehta earned the Grand Prize of $100 sponsored by Fresh Eyes Editing – Dr. Sheila Cherry. Tippecanoe High School junior Amelia Campbell received $100 for her 3rd place finish. Dave Werts and Georgia Bayman sponsored the award.
Students from Tipp City Schools receiving “Superior” ratings were Tippecanoe High School students junior Amelia Campbell and freshman Sadhil Mehta; Tippecanoe Middle School 6th grade students Kendall Echeman, Aubrey Ernst, and Audrey Jackson; LT Ball Intermediate School 5th grade students Xavier Howard, Aurora Ker, Cameron Koenig, Layton McMurry, Jackson Minnich, Liam Oney, Jacob Painter, Willow Pyles-Dodds, Jarod Ragan, Oliver Ranly, Sawyer Ridge, Wyatt Robbins, and Steel Wilson.
With the superior ratings, the students qualified for District Science Day at Edison State Community College on March 14th. Students receiving a superior at District may go to the State contest held at Ohio State University in May.
Fifty area teachers, professionals, and community members volunteered to judge the projects. Event sponsors donated awards and gift certificates totaling $3700, plus additional event sponsorships. Sponsors included Tipp City Rotary Club, Cargill, Premier Health-UVMC, Troy Fish & Game Club, Fresh Eyes Editing – Dr. Sheila Cherry, Abbott Nutrition, Tipp Monroe Optimists Club, Tippecanoe Masonic Lodge No. 174, James McGarry, Miami County Soil & Water Conservation District, John A. Smith Memorial Fund, Royal Crest Insurance, Hickory River Smokehouse, the McMurry Family, Dave Werts, Georgia Bayman, the Chaney family, the Wahl family, Robert Archer, and the event host Tippecanoe High School.
Special honors and awards presented to students from Tipp City Schools include:
- Cargill Award for Plant Science; 2nd place, Jaxen Anderson, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Cargill Award for Plant Science; 3rd place, Zicheng Guo, Tippecanoe Middle School
- Premier Health- UVMC Award in Microbiology; Aurora Ker/Sawyer Ridge, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Schilling Award for Chemistry; Xavier Howard, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Shepherd Award for Chemistry; Cameron Koenig / Willow Pyles-Dodds, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Shepherd Award for Energy; Sadhil Mehta, Tippecanoe High School
- Schilling Award for Energy; Liam Oney – LT Ball Intermediate School
- James McGarry Award for Earth and Environmental Science; Aubrey Ernst / Audrey Jackson, Tippecanoe Middle School
- Masonic Lodge No. 174 Award for Electrical & Mechanical Engineering; Jackson Minnich / Jarod Ragan – LT Ball Intermediate School
- Chaney Family Award for Engineering Design; Sadhil Mehta, Tippecanoe High School
- Spirit of Science Award-McMurry Family; Beniyah Channel, Tippecanoe High School
- Abbott Nutrition: One Team, One Voice, One Goal; Jackson Minnich/Jarod Ragan, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Abbott Nutrition: I am a Leader; Amelia Campbell, Tippecanoe High School
- Abbott Nutrition: I will make Timely, Fact-based Decisions, Sadhil Mehta, Tippecanoe High School
- Award for Best Presentation of Data (Tables & Graphs), Fresh Eyes Editing, Grades 5-8, Cameron Koenig / Willow Pyles-Dodds, LT Ball Intermediate School
- Tipp-Monroe Optimists Award for Best Abstract; Junya Sakumoto, Tippecanoe Middle School
The students, the Upper Miami Valley Science Days Committee, and the Tipp City Schools Science Department appreciate the sponsors and volunteers for making the 2022 Miami County Science Day a successful event. Anyone with questions about the Science Day program should contact Dr. Martin English, 790 E. Shoop Rd., Tipp City, OH 45371, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.ohioumvsd.com.